Reporting to the Heart Center Research Manager, the Data Specialist has the responsibility to maintain and provide oversight to the Heart Center clinical databases. The Coordinator will also assist in identifying, developing and participating in quality improvement initiatives based on data trends within our healthcare sector.
1. Performs daily data abstraction from electronic medical record (EMR) system and entry into relevant clinical databases based on database specifications.
2. Coordinates all data collection and data entry on all required patients with an emphasis on data integrity and quality. Assures that all database system upgrades are functional and current.
3. Processes all pertinent patient information and produces monthly, quarterly and annual reports as scheduled or requested by physicians, leadership team and administrators. Complies with all, but is not limited to, HIPAA regulations, IRB and regulatory agencies.
4. Confers regularly with Heart Center Data Manager, Heart Center DAR Systems Reporting Specialist, Heart Center Research Manager and Physician Leads to each database, relative to progress of projects, problems, etc. Prepares and submits progress, summary and final written reports of projects as required with follow up as directed.
5. In collaboration with other participating centers and consultants, utilizes data from multi-center quality projects to enhance quality of care or identify opportunities for improvement in patient outcomes.
6. Continually seeks ways to improve individual and department performance. Helps develop and communicate innovations to department leadership and works collaboratively with other department members to implement appropriate performance improvement processes as a response to trend analysis.
7. Participates and supports departmental goals for quality improvement in critically ill patients.
8. Communicates and collaborates effectively with all members of the health care team.
9. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
1. Broad based knowledge of nursing and clinical care practices and medical terminology acquired through completion of a Bachelor’s degree in Nursing or Healthcare, preferred.
2. Knowledge of critical care nursing procedures and standards, strongly preferred.
3. Knowledge of data base development and statistical analysis.
4. Demonstrated competencies in Word, Excel and data base registries. Ability to problem solve and work with IM to resolve data base and upgrade issues.
5. Must be able to work independently.
6. Analytical skills necessary to resolve complex patient problems, develop standards of care and procedures, and evaluate the quality of care.
7. An understanding of Lurie Children’s health care delivery system and the impact of other health care delivery systems on the patient and family.
8. Mental and sensory abilities to read, process and interpret clinical data.
9. Interpersonal and communication skills sufficient to interact effectively with interdisciplinary health team members, other Lurie Children’s departments, and consumers.