General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Responsible for daily clinical work in the outpatient/primary care setting. Assists Physicians and other staff under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
Essential Job Functions:
- Performs phlebotomy as directed by Physician orders.
- Administers intramuscular injections, subcutaneous injections, intradermal skin testing, topical medications and ophthalmic drops.
- Works in conjunction with other staff to maximize clinic flow.
- Intervenes appropriately in emergency situations.
- Documents work in patient record either in the Electronic Medical Record or the paper chart.
- Provide back up support to front desk staff by scheduling patient visits and performing “check-in, check out” activities.
- Perform initial portion of the exam by obtaining measurements and gathering a brief patient history.
- Assist Physicians with difficult exams.
- Assists in the retrieval and delivery of medications and pharmaceutical products that are dispensed from the Pharmacy to the appropriate patient care provider/s in a timely manner.
- Stocks and maintains the clinic area which includes changing needle boxes when 2/3 full
- Evaluates and documents changes to the plan whether that be in the Electronic Medical Record or in the paper chart.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Successful completion of an accredited medical assistant program. Some college preferred.
- Certification as a Medical Assistant desired.
- Basic Life Support Certification required