Foundation Finance is comprised of Foundation Accounting, Philanthropic Fund Accounting, Gift Processing, and Finance Analytics and Reporting. The Manager of Foundation Finance is responsible for overseeing the day-to-day financial reporting, financial reconciliations, and philanthropic fund management within each area of Foundation Finance. This position will also assist other members of the Finance team to coordinate the financial close of each month, to ensure that donor information is recorded and stewarded properly, and all financial reports are reconciled. The Manager will also assist the Senior Director of Foundation Finance with financial planning, budgeting, fund management and overall financial operations.
1. Performs accounting functions across all Foundation Finance: including Gift Processing, philanthropic fund accounting and Foundation financials.
2. Prepares and/or reviews journal entries relating to all areas of Foundation finance.
3. Develops and implements financial policies and procedures consistent with those of Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago Medical Center.
4. Develops, implements, and enforces accounting controls, internal policies and procedures to ensure accurate financial reporting. Develops new workflows and efficiencies as needed.
5. Models financial stewardship in decision making and encourages others to be financial stewards.
6. Respond to customer inquiries related to donation processing issues, fund stewardship, fund accounting.
7. Ensure operation performance measurements and productivity levels of direct reports are met. Interviews and trains new employees, takes disciplinary action when appropriate, conducts conflict resolution, and performs annual performance reviews for all direct reports.
8. Perform job functions adhering to core principles that guide us including compassionate service, diversity and innovation, excellence, integrity, respectful communication, and stewardship.
9. Oversee all financial activity within Gift Processing.
10. Prepares monthly financial reports for the Foundation and its affiliated organizations, including gift processing reports and reconciliations.
11. Identify and implement opportunities in Raiser’s Edge and Gift Processing systems for auto-entry solutions, scanning, reporting and other efficiencies.
12. Collaborate with Foundation IS on data analytic reporting and metrics.
Fund Accounting / Foundation Financial Reporting:
13. Prepares external audit schedules including but not limited to gift contributions, pledges, net assets, and endowments as requested by the external auditors and the Accounting Department.
14. Coordinates the data collection and preparation of the required financial reporting schedules for the annual not-for-profit tax returns (990’s).
15. Oversees financial/budget variance analysis, including timely reporting to Foundation teams.
16. Coordinates the timely and accurate preparation of monthly financial statements, quarterly and annual budgeting, presentations and other financial reporting and analysis as needed.
17. Coordinates Foundation financial operations activities, including purchasing, accounts payable and asset management.
18. Serves as a resource to Foundation management on technical matters relating to financial statements by keeping up to date with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP) and UPMIFA.
19. Assist Senior Director, Foundation Finance with financial reporting, planning, budgeting, fund management for all of the Foundation operations and all Affiliated Organizations (including Founders’ Board) and all Funds Budget and Commitment tracking.
20. Other duties as assigned, including support to the Fund Accounting, Analytics, and gift entry during peak volumes.
1. A Bachelor’s degree in Accounting from an accredited college or university required; CPA preferred.
2. Advanced skills in Raiser’s Edge fundraising database preferred; Basic understanding of gift processing and database management in a non-profit setting.
3. Four to five years supervisor experience required.
4. Three to four years of Not-for-Profit and Fund Accounting experience preferred.
5. Advanced skills in spreadsheet preparation and knowledge of general ledger systems required; knowledge of Infor- Lawson preferred.
6. Ability to maintain strict confidentiality with respect to sensitive data required.
7. Attention to detail and the ability to prioritize and manage projects to ensure all deadlines are met is essential.
8. Ability to work independently and meet deadlines in a fast paced team environment with minimum supervision; Ability to work efficiently and accurately with details and fluctuating work volumes.
9. Excellent interpersonal and communication skills including the ability to collaborate and build relationships cross-functionally using tact, diplomacy and teamwork.
10. Demonstrates ability to foster a cooperative work environment to communicate effectively across a diverse audience.
11. Self-motivator with a positive attitude and a strong drive for results.