Primarily provides administrative support, patient activity/care coordination, outside image coordination and problem solving for Lurie Children’s as well as partner hospitals. This includes departments, divisions and teams (internal and external) that participate in telemedicine programs including, but not limited to, Medical Imaging, Cardiology, Critical Care, Transport Team, etc. Coordinates and guides Tele-rounding activities with patients’ families/guardians and Lurie Children’s physicians.
Works with a diverse group of individuals including physicians, nurses, hospital staff and patients’ families both at Lurie Children’s and partner hospitals. Duties may include monitoring PACS for Emergency department patients and Radiology/Cardiology results, relaying results/impressions to referring physicians and services, registering new patients, and coordinating telemedicine consults including outside images.
Essential Job Functions:
- Provides assistance and services to physicians, hospital staff and patients/families (internal andexternal) to coordinate and enhance patient care and flow. Includes Radiologists, Cardiologists, ED Attendings, Critical Care, Transport Team, etc.
- Coordinates patient care Tele-rounding activities including patient/family discussions, installation and setup of technology and virtual directory to assist when family member(s) cannot bepresent for daily rounds.
- Establishes and maintains rapport, promotes collaborative communication among a group of diverse health care providers, also maintains an effective working relationship with these individuals bothinternally and externally.
- Acts as a resource to hospital personnel, both internally and externally, with regard to care and coordination of services for patients.
- Accurately relays complex patient care information to appropriate parties. Reports critical results in an efficient and effective manner to expedite safe patient care.
- Reconciles physician orders to correct exam protocol and escalates discrepancies to appropriate clinical staff. Identifies and obtains paperwork required to start exams.
- Accurately uploads outside facility images and reports into Radiology and Cardiology PACS systems with appropriate and accurate order information for interpretation by physician.
- Provides appropriate parties with images as requested while ensuring all appropriate consent and form completions. Fulfills requests from healthcare providers for patient reports.
- Promptly answers and appropriately triages department telephone calls.
- Identifies potential problems and notifies the manager.
- Works closely with hospital IT teams to resolve issues.
- Assists Department Support Assistants with tasks including management of outside images, release of images to patients, providers and divisions/departments, etc.
- Works cooperatively to accomplish additional tasks as necessary to achieve hospital/department objectives.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Other job functions as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. Bachelor degree preferred.
- 1-3 years of office experience or equivalent required. Medical office experience preferred.
- Must demonstrate strong organizational skills, critical thinking skills, and the ability to problem-solve and support teamwork in a multidisciplinary setting.
- Computer skills required – must maintain competence working in an electronic medical record-driven system, basic Microsoft Office skills, PACS system knowledge.
- Must demonstrate excellent written, verbal and customer service communication skills.