General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Coordinates the non-clinical functions of the Emergency Room in close collaboration with the Team Leader and Clinical staff. Facilitates the flow of communication within the unit and all ancillary departments within the organization. Directs a variety of people (patients/families/visitors/staff and hospital employees) to appropriate resources by providing information and feedback on their needs and concerns. This position actively supports the Hospital and the Department’s Continuous Quality Improvement and customer service goals, individually and as a team member.
Area Specific Job Accountabilities:
- Audits patient charts for ED Level charges as documented in the patient record, as well as supply and other patient charges, into electronic medical record.
- Works within electronic medical record to assist clinical staff and department leadership for patient information and data.
- Organizes patient records and delivers them to Health Information Management for processing.
- Prints extra labels for physicians and nurses as necessary.
- Pulls ED record for all follow up. E.g. Return visits, positive cultures, X-Ray Reports.
- Utilizes hospital-wide paging system and communication directory to contact clinical and ancillary services.
- Restocks unit with non-medical supplies.
- Coordinates procurement of supplies / equipment and calls for equipment repairs.
- Attends staff meetings and keeps abreast of pertinent information regarding policy and procedure updates. Communicates any problems or questions pertaining to assigned duties and established procedures.
- Answers all phone calls according to Lurie Children’s standards and refers phone calls appropriately.
- Follows established downtime procedures for scheduled and unscheduled computer system downtime.
- Assists in the orientation of new staff.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent required.
- Related experience in a hospital or physician office setting and knowledge of medical terminology, third party billing, and managed care requirements strongly preferred.
- Compassionate customer service skills with the ability to relate effectively with pediatric patients, families, physicians, nurses, and other allied health and medical center personnel are essential
- Expertise in Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel is required as well as a basic computer skills.
- Ability to prioritize needs of the unit under stressful conditions with minimal supervision. Ability to move equipment when necessary.