The Accountant Senior position may be responsible for any of the following technical functions of the financial reporting team: accounting, payroll, accounts payable, taxation, practice plan billing, and preparation of financial statements. The objective of this position is to coordinate the functions related to the reporting of financial statistics and to provide senior management with information to make decisions and to develop resourceful solutions. Specific duties and responsibilities may fluctuate between positions based upon actual assignment and responsibility rotation. All senior accountants will be cross-trained on the specific duties and responsibilities listed below.
- Implements and maintains departmental policies and procedures in relation to the technical functions of the accounting department.
- Designs financial reporting formats.
- Performs and reviews various balance sheet account reconciliations on a monthly basis.
- Maintains the general ledger system and prepares or reviews journal entries relating to accounts payable, payroll, investment accounts, long-term debt activity, and self-insurance.
- Ensures the timely and accurate completion of internal financial statements.
- Ensures the timely and accurate completion of enterprise wide research expenditure reporting and reviews results with the accounting director.
- Maintains and operates the general ledger system in regards to monthly reporting, ongoing review and development of procedures and report formats, and interacting with users of general ledger data.
- Provides support to leadership requesting financial information and analysis.
- Monitors and evaluates departmental budget variances.
- Prepare and maintain accrual schedules, revenue, and expense schedules for various research departments.
- Responsible for the preparation of the Research Institute tax return.
- Completes or reviews the completion of outside surveys.
- Assists with the mid-year and year-end audits and cost reports.
- Resource to accounting staff on technical matters relating to financials, by keeping up to date with generally-accepted accounting principles (FASB, GAAP, etc.).
- Actively participates as a member of the accounting team to help assure the accomplishment of departmental goals and objectives. Prepare reports for the interim and fiscal year-end audit and manage the audit.
- Acts as key customer service representative to external accounting customers.
- May interact with third party, funds, treasury, and patient financial services to ensure accurate information exchange.
- Special projects as assigned.
- Other job functions as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting required. CPA or MBA preferred.
- 3 - 5 years relevant work experience in healthcare/research accounting preferred.
- Knowledge of grant accounting preferred.
- Knowledge of Lawson software preferred.
- Computer literate in spreadsheets, database, and mainframe.
- Working knowledge of accounts payable, general ledger, payroll, and budgeting.
- Strong planning skills, evidenced by current level or responsibility and related experience.
- Ability to take initiative by identifying problems, conceptualizing resolutions, and implementing change.
- Ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, complex technical issues in a clear, concise matter, to individuals with little or no technical background.
Sorry the Share function is not working properly at this moment. Please refresh the page and try again later.
Share on your newsfeed