General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Assists dentist at chair side during examination and treatment of hospital patients. Understands and integrates into the delivery of patient care the needs of neonatal, pediatric, adolescent and adult patients in regards to their growth and development process. The position actively supports the hospitals and the departments Continuous Quality Improvement and customer service goals, individually and as an effective team member.
Essential Job Functions:
- Escorts patients from waiting room to dental operatory. Prepares patients for dental treatment.
- Arranges dental instruments, materials and medications on chair side tray in the order to be used, according to the scheduled treatment. Maintains working knowledge of instruments used at chair side.
- Keeps oral operating areas clean during dental procedures.
- Prepares restorative materials and dental cements. Passes instruments to dentist during procedures.
- Prepares operating room and/ procedure suite for dental procedures. Assists with dental and oral surgery performed under general anesthesia.
- Takes and develops x-rays. Maintains operation of x-ray equipment.
- Prepares instruments and hand pieces for sterilization. Stores instruments in proper location upon return.
- Keeps operatories clean and stocked with necessary supplies.
- Answers telephone when clerical staff is unavailable. Prepares patient chart, charts lesions, and various abnormalities as diagnosed by Dentist. Able to chart in computer based program as well as any paper record.
- Obtain patient data for appointments; sends out patient appointment reminders. Performs patient support clerical activities.
- Assists in the retrieval and delivery of medications and pharmaceutical products that are dispensed for the Pharmacy to the appropriate patient care provider/s in a timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Completion of an approved dental assistant program is preferred.
- Minimum one year experience in private practice.
- Pediatric dental experience is strongly preferred.
- Some computer skills required.
- Current valid Certified CPR/BLS through American Heart Association required.