The IT Systems Engineer is responsible for the implementation and ongoing support of servers, sytems and application software, and other healthcare IT technology on the Lurie Children’s Hospital network with a core focus on provisioning storage and backup to virtual servers. It should be especially noted that the IT Systems Engineer role, while responsible for server and other IT technology, also focuses on the end user apects of this technology.
These duties may be performed directly or coordinated with IM Applications teams, external technology and/or service partners. Project and end user activities may include coordination, communication, and other duties as required for success. The IT System Engineer is expected to be self-directed and perforn responsbilities with minimal supervision.
1. Implements and maintains server and client systems (computer hardware, operating systens and application software) as assigned or in association with application or technology systems projects. Therefore the IT Systems Engineer will be responsible for one or more of the these technology areas:
a. General Unix server administration including relative application techincal support, e.g. Epic.
b. General Microsoft server administration including relative networking and application techincal support
c. Microsoft Windows client operating system imaging and support
d. Microsoft Office and Portal adminsitration and end user services
e. Microssoft Exchange and Outlook Email administration, including handheld device and other mobile technology, e.g. BlackBerry
2. Administering EMC and Isilon storage in a virtual environment
3. Maintain department standards for client and server systems
4. Provides consultative services to end users regarding technology or application services and/or client related issues
5. Completes assigned Help Desk support tickets within IM Department standards
6. Serves as liaison to vendors for equipment and software maintenance
7. Develops and documents procedures covering all aspects of enterprise-wide client/server administration
a. Monitors and report on performance for all assigned servers, applications, and technologies
b. Performs ongoing capacity and performance planning for all assigned servers, applications, and technologies
8. Assumes on-call responsibility for data center equipment operations, per the schedule
9. Performs other duties as assigned
1. Knowledge of relevant server, network and client operating systems and technologies e.g. Microsoft Windows, HP-UX Unix or other operating system software.
a. 1-3 years of experience working with client/server based equipment/operating systems in a complex enterprise network environment.
b. 1-3 years experience in working with systems and applications in a client/server environment. Experience with Health Care IT application, e.g. Epic EMR or Lawson Financials.
c. Note: Experience in working with systems in a Citrix/Thin Client computing environment is highly desired.
2. Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Information Systems/Technology/Computer Science (or equivalent work experience).
3. Excellent time and project management skills, customer service and interpersonal skills, system diagnostic and communication (written and oral) are critical for success in this position.
4. Analytical thinking for effective problem determination and correction within the department and in the user community is essential.
5. Experience provisioning Dell EMC Storage and Isilon storage.
6. Experience in information systems/technology within a health care provider organization is desired.