Assists cardiopulmonary exercise lab directors in the coordination of exercise lab initiatives. Serves as a key resource to the heart center department and department of pulmonary medicine by assuming responsibility for important programmatic functions and the implementation of strategic initiatives regarding current practices, as well as growth and development of exercise lab services.
Performs responsibilities of an exercise physiologist while acting as a lead and resource to other exercise physiologists. Maintains current knowledge of protocols and equipment. Educates staff to department policies and procedures. Possesses a strong awareness of daily operations, work flow and staffing. Maintains inventory and orders supplies within budget guidelines. Coordinates student clinical rotations and training of exercise physiologists.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serves as the primary staff resource for the exercise lab supporting physicians, exercise physiologists and administrators. Includes the following responsibilities:
- Facilitates exercise physiologist schedule and ensures appropriate staffing coverage for various EST clinic sites.
- Communicates effectively and efficiently with all cardiopulmonary lab staff members to provide general updates and changes to procedure or policies.
- Promotes and facilitates educational opportunities which will enhance the knowledge and expertise of the cardiopulmonary lab staff members.
- Acts as a liaison between cardiologists, cardiology APN’s and Cardiology AA’s to communicate changes to cardiopulmonary lab policies, procedures and protocols.
- Frequently communicates and meets with lead pulmonary function technician to facilitate exercise physiologist coverage in PFT lab.
- Orders appropriate supplies and equipment for all EST clinic sites and ensure proper back up equipment to prevent clinic cancellations due to equipment malfunction.
- Is the direct preceptor for new exercise physiologist employees and facilitates training and education during the 90 day probationary period to ensure employee competency.
- Works directly with the EST lab physician directors and director of the cardiopulmonary labs to advance the strategic initiatives of the cardiopulmonary labs.
- Is the direct supervisor for all internship candidates, working directly with the student and the University to ensure all internship requirements are successfully fulfilled. Completes appropriate documents for intern progress reports and assessments.
- Works with the lab directors to implement new software, equipment, lab supplies and facilitate training to exercise physiologists.
- Takes initiative and proposes new programs and ideas which will enhance the growth of the cardiopulmonary labs.
- Participates in program development meetings and discussions pertaining to exercise lab programs and services.
- Maintains appropriate templates, schedules and databases for research and lab compliance.
- Lead exercise physiologist for research testing and protocol development.
- Tracks scheduling of EST’s to ensure proper scheduling of appointments and booking of clinics.
- Works with directors of the cardiology and pulmonary labs to develop new policies and procedures which enhance quality of care and integrity of the cardiopulmonary exercise lab.
- Works directly with cardiology and pulmonary medicine administrative supervisors.
- Works with the Biomedical Engineers to ensure all equipment is maintained properly and is serviced in a timely manner. Ensures follow up on equipment recalls and equipment repair.
- Performs patient care and serves as a role model for other exercise physiologists.
- Assumes other administrative responsibilities as may be assigned from time to time by the cardiopulmonary labs directors.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Master’s degree in exercise physiology or related field. An equivalent combination of education and/or experience may be considered in lieu of the degree when the experience has been directly related to the duties of the job.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience.
- Proven ability to develop effective systems of coordination, tracking and monitoring.
- Ability to work well in a team environment and with different personalities and educational levels.
- Able to handle a variety of responsibilities simultaneously and without constant direction.
- Strong analytical, interpersonal, and oral and written communication skills required.
- Working knowledge and skills in Microsoft computer software applications and database technologies.
- Ability to establish priorities and react promptly to a large variety of requests and needs.
- Strong ability to work under pressure and manage stressful situations.
- Strong leadership skills required to delegate tasks as needed.
- Basic Life Support Certification required.
- Ability to travel to outreach sites.