**This PA will support the Orthopedic practice of Dr Patel with 6 clinics per week 2 at Lurie,1- 2 clinics per week at Silver Cross in New Lennox, 1-2 sessions per week at Westchester. Eventually would be assisting in the OR at Westchester as there is not resident coverage at this location**
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION RESPONSIBILITY:
Provides direct patient care and assumes primary responsibility for clinical management of patients in ambulatory, operating room, emergency department, and inpatient settings. Directs or participates in case management and continuing care. Collaborates, refers, and consults with department attending physicians, specialists, and other members of the health care team to deliver effective, efficient, safe, and high quality care. Contributes to organizational and departmental continuous performance and quality improvement projects. The role is unique to the Physician Assistants specialty area and in accordance with individual credentialing and privileging through the Medical Staff Office.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Area Specific Job Accountabilities:
1. Provides expert clinical care, education, consultation, advocacy research, leadership and mentorship.
2. Obtains patient histories, performs physical examinations, order, perform, and interpret diagnostic tests, prescribe medications, perform procedures, and develop treatment plans.
3. Manages primary, acute and chronic health problems through comprehensive history and physical examination assessment and diagnosis. This may include palliative and end of life care.
4. Orders, performs and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures.
5. Prescribes pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, and performs other therapeutic or corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
6. For Surgical Specialties:
a. Assists physicians in surgical procedures and care in the operating room and intensive care unit. For post-operative patients, in addition to complete history and physical assessment – assess the current status of all post-operative wounds, perform minor procedure as requested by physician and within the PA scope of services, update all clinical information as necessary.
7. Collaborates and coordinates care with medical team to deliver evidenced-based care and establish best practices in clinical care.
8. Participates in research design, implementation and interpretation.
9. Participate in education and research efforts for patients, families, and the health care team.
10. Meets the Medical Staffs Allied Health Practitioners core measures of performance related to patient care, medical knowledge, practice based learning and improvement, interpersonal communication skills, professionalism, and system based practice.
11. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
1. Master’s degree from a nationally accredited Physician Assistant program required.
2. 2 years of clinical patient care experience preferred. Pediatric experience strongly preferred.
3. Active licensure in the State of Illinois as a Physician Assistant is required.
4. Experience as delineated in clinical privileges through credentialing by the Medical Staff Office.
5. Basic Life Support certification required. Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification required in some specialty areas.
6. Any other certification required for specialty area.
7. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, basic computer skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.
8. Ability to work in a collaborative environment with physicians, residents, advanced practice nurses, nurses, administrative manager and directors and support staff thereby creating a cohesive well developed team.
GENERAL UNDERSTANDING AND NATURE OF THE POSITION DESCRIPTION
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job classification. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.