General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Under the direction of the Manager, Epic Core Services and Integration, the Epic Client Sytems Engineer installs, configures, implements, maintains and supports the Epic web and service server software to support the Lurie Children's Hospital Electronic Medical Record, EMR. The Epic Client Systems Engineer works closely with all entities, both within and external to Information Management (IM) that make use of the EMR; this includes but is not limited to the EMR project team, Clinical Education, and IM support teams' Clinical Applicatons and Network Services. The Epic Client Systems Engineer is in charge of application deployment platforms that serve production, reporting, disaster recovery, training, and non-production needs. This role will also be responsible for proactive monitoring and maintenance of all Epic Windows-based web and service server systems. Knowledge of file system maintenance, installation of monitoring tools, understanding performance metrics, and troubleshooting system and/or performance issues is required for a successful deployment and support of these environments.
Essential Job Functions:
1. Install, configure, maintain, monitor, troubleshoot, optimize, and upgrade all Windows-based Epic applications and services. This includes, but is not limited to Hyperspace, Hyperspace Web, Epic Print Service, BLOB, Interconnect, MyChart, SystemPulse, Kuiper, Store-Forward, BCA-PC, BCA-Web, Haiku/Canto, Care Everywhere, and EpicCare Link.
2. Assist with installation, configuration, troubleshooting, and resolution of peripheral devices and integrated third-party software via Interconnect and web services.
3. Assess impact of major version upgrades and SU packages for current ECSA via NOVA notes and any other means provided.
4. Build, configure, test, and maintain high-availability, disaster recovery, and business continuity systems.
5. Work with other team members to review Epic technical issues real-time to support the customer and meet goals for uptime and performance, including reporting on several KPI metrics.
6. Participate in on-call rotation that includes off hours and weekends.
7. Follow change control processes, including documenting changes via change control tool(s).
8. Maintain and document existing and future environment configurations for all Epic Windows-based servers and services.
9. Take lead role in all major version upgrades and SU patches for all Windows-based Epic application services.
10. Provide support and resolution assistance for help desk tickets/incident request management.
11. Other job functions as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
1. A Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems or a directly related field is highly desired.
2. 1-3 years of experience and proficient skills within Information Services and solid knowledge of database, OS server systems, and Windows management systems is required. Experience in information systems and applications within a health care provider organization are highly desired.
3. Certification/Licensure/Registration: certification in Epic ECSA 102, ECSA 105, ECSA 110, ECSA 115 (Epic Print Service, Epic Relay Service, BCA components, Web Blob Service, Hyperspace Web, Interconnect, Care Everywhere, and System Pulse) is highly desired.
4. Windows or Citrix Experience and/or certification with a working knowledge of Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) Administration is highly desired.
5. Experience with hardware or software load balancing solutions such as NetScaler, GSLB.
6. Knowledge of network protocols and functionality including TCP/IP, Active Directory, Domain Name Services, FTP/SCP, and HTTP.
7. Powershell/VBscript scripting experience preferred.
8. Excellent time and project management skills, customer service and interpersonal skills, system diagnostic and communication (written and oral) are critical for success in this position.
9. Analytical thinking for effective problem determination and the ability to work independently, make decisions under pressure, while providing timely and responsive services are the keys to this position.