General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Coordinates the non-clinical functions of the unit and performs clerical duties utilizing resources available. Actively supports the Hospital’s and the department’s quality goals and service excellence principles.
Essential Job Functions:
- Serves as greeter for the unit and checks in visitors per the visitor restriction protocol.
- Provides secretarial support to the unit including answering phones, taking messages and/or routing calls to the appropriate individual/department, receiving patient/family requests and referring to appropriate person for follow up.
- Maintains nursing call/page system including setting up, distributing, collecting and tracking nurse phones.
- Ensures daily patient census is accurate, in real-time while also focusing on accurate attending/service, pending discharge, estimated length of stay, isolation, and level of care.
- Manages admission, discharge, and transfer process in the electronic medical record (EMR) while paging correct on-call physician.
- Assists in maintaining unit statistics and patient charges.
- Accurately input patient pump charges.
- Manages the flow of the patient’s medical record including routing & storage of paper medical records, maintaining paper charts in hospital approved chart order, maintaining Health Information Management (HIM) label process for scanning paper forms into patient medical record, and completing a check of the patient’s paper medical record after discharge to ensure completeness.
- Receives and responds to patient/family requests in a timely manner. Refers to appropriate person for follow-up if necessary.
- Monitors unit computers, fax, printers, and copier to assure continuous availability of working equipment.
- Prepares & stocks various documents/packets/forms required by inpatient units for operations.
- Monitors office supply inventory to ensure proper amounts are stocked on inpatient units.
- Assigns username and passcode to patients or guardian for MyChart.
- Keeps the volunteer checklist updated daily.
- Maintains visitor binder daily by pro-actively having the parent or legal guardian complete forms.
- Changes level of care for patients in the Electronic Medical Record (EMR) as noted by the case manager each day.
- Keeps the consent binder updated by verifying that the correct forms have been received, scanned and/or signed by parents and by HIM. Reports environmental needs to facilities or EVS for maintenance, cleanliness and repairs.
- Monitors visitor access during resuscitation and contacts Child Life, Social Workers, and Chaplin’s to support families.
- Successfully completes report to the next Unit Secretary.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High school diploma or equivalent required. 1 year of previous general office experience preferred.
- Provides excellent communication and customer service to all individuals whether on the phone or on the unit by maintaining core competencies of innovation, teamwork, and service.
- Knowledge of Electronic Medical Record preferred.
- Microsoft Office knowledge preferred i.e., Outlook
- Ability to prioritize needs of the unit under busy conditions without supervision.