Serve as a clinical educator for Echocardiology, Electrocardiology, Cardiopulmonary Exercise Lab, and Pulmonary Function Testing. Develop and maintain the educational programs offered to the cardiopulmonary staff and community. Organize and maintain records for all student activities within the department of Cardiopulmonary Labs. Also assist in coordination and monitoring of both departmental continuing education efforts and clinical orientation initiatives.
1. Coordinates a continuing medical education (CME) portfolio to improve staff skills and maintain clinical competence.
2. Collaborates with senior staff and faculty in creating and providing educational materials and opportunities.
3. Coordinates didactic lecture series, educational curricula and CME conferences and workshops for the department. Assists in the planning and coordination of affiliate functions, including annual sonographer update conferences in pediatric and fetal echocardiography.
4. Develops and maintains a pediatric echocardiography training program for cardiology fellows and sonographers.
5. Seeks feedback and evaluates the effectiveness of the educational content, teaching strategies, and the learning environment.
6. Designs and executes area orientation and education of new staff and clinical fellows to the department, including development and coordination of educational materials and orientation workshops such as clinical boot camps.
7. Establishes relationships with sonography/echocardiography schools to formalize internship and training of pediatric sonographers.
8. Assists staff in obtaining professional credentials, societal fellowships and career growth opportunities.
9. Oversees accreditation processes and assures on-going compliance.
10. Maintains annual organizational education and clinical competence records.
11. Provides a level of clinical supervision and works with clinical leads to evaluate students practical abilities and assures students attain clinical objectives.
12. Maintains student files per institutional policy.
13. Participates in meetings and serves on committees (both internal and external) which are applicable to departmental education.
14. Schedules clinical assignments that assure proper exposure to different pathology and acuity levels so that students may achieve course objectives.
15. Collaborates with technical and medical directors to develop, refine and implement exam protocols.
16. Coordinates technical quality assurance activities for students and staff.
17. Provides didactic sessions as required. Maintains the documentation and record keeping system in compliance with organizational and external agency requirements.
18. Role models and serves as a clinical resource.
19. Coaches and actively facilitates the clinical advancement of students and staff. Coaches orientees and guides staff to appropriate resources to achieve performance expectations.
20. Employs a variety of interactive teaching strategies that include, but are not limited to, didactic courses, 1:1 hands-on scanning, and lunch & learns.
21. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
22. Demonstrates knowledge of pertinent aspects and competency with protocols related to the use of chemical disinfection, high level disinfection, and sterilization if required at part of the responsibilities of the role.
23. Other job functions as assigned.
1. Bachelor�s degree in related field or education required, Master�s preferred.
2. Current registry with American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers.
3. Current CPR certification.
4. Minimum five years pediatric sonographer experience in a hospital setting. Previous experience working with students in a pediatric clinical setting is preferred.
5. Supervisory or clinical teaching experience preferred, effective teaching skills are required.
6. Speaks clearly person-to-person and on telephone and records accurate messages.