General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Provides the advanced financial support in the Foundation Finance department to which the position has been assigned. With minimum supervision, performs the specific duties and responsibilities commensurate with experience and education. The Financial Analyst position may be responsible for any of the following technical functions of the funds financial reporting team: philanthropic fund accounting, general accounting, identifying specific restrictions per fund accounting guidelines, preparation of financial statements and variance analysis, and gift processing.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assists in the monthly financial statements, including analysis of trends. Assists with the information compilation of monthly utilization, sourcing, and statistical reports for Philanthropic Commitments and Recruits.
- Acts as key customer service representative to Hospital fund managers / directors and regularly reviews Fund activity reports and variances with them.
- Assist with financial activity within Gift Processing.
- Assist Senior Director of Foundation Finance with financial reporting, planning, budgeting, fund management for all of the Foundation operations and all Affiliated Organizations (including Founders’ Board).
- Respond to customer inquiries related to donation processing issues, fund stewardship, fund accounting.
- Provides support to Foundation and Hospital leadership requesting financial information and analysis, including but not limited to Stewardship reports for key Major Gift Donors.
- Assists Senior Director Foundation Finance in compiling the annual Foundation Budget and the Funds Budget, and monitors and evaluates departmental budget variances monthly. Responsible for monitoring and performing analytical review of spend on philanthropic funds against budget throughout the year.
- Prepares monthly journal entries, account reconciliations, balance sheet and income statement accounts.
- Assists with the preparation and distribution of month-end responsibility reports to department directors and vice presidents. Reviews and approves various fund expenditures and other requests for fund data.
- Maintains departmental policies and procedures in relation to the technical functions of the Finance department. Assists in designing financial reporting formats with a good working knowledge of latest creative tools/software.
- Assists in the audits including liaison with auditors, and preparations of audited financial statements and footnotes disclosure, as assigned.
- Resource on technical matters relating to fund accounting, keeping up to date with generally-accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and UPMIFA.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Other duties as assigned including support to the Fund Accounting, Analytics, and gift entry during peak volumes.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance from accredited university; CPA preferred but not required. Public accounting experience preferred, but not required.
- Two to three years healthcare or not for profit experience. Working knowledge of financial statements, variance analysis, and general ledger reporting. Infor-Lawson preferred but not required.
- Blackbaud Raiser’s Edge experience preferred.
- Computer-literate with spreadsheets, database, and mainframe applications. Ability to take initiative by identifying problems, conceptualizing resolutions to the problems, and implementing change.
- Excellent analytical, writing, and communication skills.
General Understanding and Nature of the Position Description
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job classification. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.