1.0 Ensures proper staffing in order to meet workload demands, maximize productivity and provide highest quality testing within appropriate turnaround times that meet or exceed customers’ customer satisfaction
- Provides direct supervision for department-specific laboratory staff. Maintains adequate staffing levels and provides technical support as needed.
- Facilitates staff recruitment, job performance, monitoring, evaluation and documentation in accordance with accreditation standards in conjunction with the Clinical Director.
- Develops/reviews/approves efficient monthly schedule
- Develops cross training plan and oversees timely completion of training
- Actively participates in recruitment, mentoring, coaching (to include customer service orientation, problem solving, and conflict resolution skills) and disciplining assigned staff
- Routinely evaluates staff performance and competence, providing timely direct feedback
- Implements performance improvement measures including improvement plan and ensures timely execution and follow up.
- Establishes clear accountability for staff performance and follow up accordingly
- Actively participates in staff development and works to challenge and develop staff through continuing education opportunities and through delegation of special projects so that they may achieve their personal best including improvement of their technical and medical skills and quality of reported tests.
- Maintains knowledge and utilizes resources to provide consultative, educational, technical and informational services as needed, to families, patients and staff.
2.0 Oversee the performance to ensure delivery of highest standards for quality of care and patient safety.
- Develops and maintains a quality management system in accordance with Lurie Children’s quality measurement and improvement plan. Establishes and maintains data collection to monitor the quality of technical services.
- Establishes high technical criteria and ensures that the staff meet their performance standards
- Reviews completed worksheets to ensure that all tests are resulted on time
- Reviews amended reports, categorize errors and investigate process changes and identifies training and process improvement opportunities
- Reviews monthly QC and maintenance charts to assure adherence to established quality assurance and quality control protocols
- Ensures pending logs are being reviewed hourly
- Assists with problem solving and trouble-shooting
3.0 Guarantees full compliance with licensing and accreditation requirements so that the laboratory always meets or exceeds federal, state, and CAP guidelines and the staff adheres with the hospital and departmental policies and procedures
- Develops in-depth procedure manuals to include test protocols, quality assurance, quality control, and instrument maintenance protocols, which meet all laboratory accreditation requirements
- Ensures the standard operational procedures are always current, reviewed annually, and adhered to by staff
- Assists the Laboratory Medical and Administrative Director in complying with governmental, accreditation, and Hospital standards, including the College of American Pathologists (CAP),
- the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 1988 (CLIA 88), CMS, OSHA, and The Joint Commission.
- Oversees the performance and reporting of proficiency testing. Coordinates and documents corrective action as necessary.
4.0 Ensures technical support for the medical and administrative directors of the Lab and the medical and nursing staff to guarantee customer satisfaction
- Investigates and provides timely responses to complaints about the Lab services (SERS reports)
- Meets with vendors and reviews new method technologies or systems to improve processes
- Participates in inter-organizational discussions related to the laboratory’s policies and procedures
- Participates on technical committees
- Establishes inter-departmental mechanisms to pro-actively improve patient care services
- Performs external assessment
- Facilitates the development and evaluation of new procedures and protocols and coordinates the review and revision of laboratory manuals with the Clinical Director.
5.0 Ensures administrative support for the department leadership
- Reports to the Quarterly Quality Assurance and Lab Leadership meetings
- Oversees collection and calculation of departmental statistics including but not limited to overtime and work load data in order to decrease cost per test, optimize staff utilization and decrease turn-around-time
- Oversees department purchase of equipment and supplies
- Prepares documentation for capital purchase requests
- Develops and manages annual operating and capital budgets
- Maintains fiscal responsibility relative to capital and operating budget, variance analysis, and
- trends in productivity, volume, acuity and service.