General Summary of Position Responsibility:
Provides assistance to the surgical team during surgical procedure. Assists in the orientation process of all new operating room employees as assigned.
Essential Job Functions:
Area Specific Job Accountabilities:
- Performs technical skill duties in all operating room specialty service areas, ensuring that proper technical practices are employed according to accepted standards of process.
- Provides proper maintenance, assembly, handling and sterilization techniques of specialty instrumentation.
- Provides assistance to Registered Professional Nurses in the implementing of the intra-operative phase of the nursing practice.
- Performs the duties of a scrub or circulating person, following departmental policies and procedures for these respective duties.
- Compiles accurate and complete documentation of surgical cases on operating room record when performing duties of the circulating person.
- Participates in the orientation of all new operating room personnel as assigned. Participates in operating room staff development through in-service education programs, conference and research projects.
- Participates in nursing/hospital committees as requested. Accepts on-call rotation.
- Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
- Demonstrates knowledge of pertinent aspects and competency with protocols related to the use of chemical disinfection, high level disinfection, and sterilization if required as part of the responsibilities of the role.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High School education or equivalent and completion of a Surgical Technologist Program required
- Three years of experience as an operating room technician desirable.
- Certification as surgical technologist is preferred.
- Ability to react quickly to emergency situations.
General Understanding and Nature of the Position Description
In accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this job classification. These statements are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.