Our team works within the Pediatric Surgery division to provide wound, ostomy, gastrostomy, and cecostomy tube care as well as education to patients throughout the hospital and in the community. We function in both the outpatient and inpatient environments in independent practice.
· Days/ evenings
· PALS and CWON (Certified wound ostomy nurses) certification required
Location: Outpatient clinical services may be delivered at a satellite location necessitating access to personal transportation.
The Advanced Practice Nurse (APN) works within the multidisciplinary clinical team to provide individualized patient care through history and physical assessment, ordering and interpreting diagnostic tests, medication ordering, prescribing and management, formulating diagnoses and patient/family education. S/he promotes evidenced based practice by conducting or participating in research and academic activities. S/he provides support to the nursing and leadership staff in order to promote the advancement of the nursing profession at Lurie Children’s and in the community-at-large. The role is unique to each division and in accordance with individual credentialing and privileging through the Medical Staff Office.
1. Provides expert clinical care, education, consultation, advocacy research, leadership and mentorship.
2. Manages primary, acute and chronic health problems through comprehensive history and physical examination assessment and diagnosis. This may include palliative and end of life care.
3. Orders, performs and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures.
4. Orders and prescribes pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, and performs other therapeutic or corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
5. Promotes the advancement of the nursing profession at Lurie Children’s and the community-at-large. This may include publication, participation in professional organizations and providing educational support to the nursing staff.
6. Collaborates and coordinates care with medical team to deliver evidenced-based care and establish best practices in clinical care.
7. Participates in research design, implementation and interpretation.
8. Meets the Medical Staffs Allied Health Practitioners core measures of performance related to patient care, medical knowledge, practice based learning and improvement, interpersonal communication skills, professionalism, and system based practice.
9. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
refer to the Essential Job Functions section of the Job Description.)
1. Master’s degree or higher from an accredited school of nursing appropriate for certification as a Nurse
Practitioner. (CNS certification is not acceptable if hired after January 1, 2010)
2. Two (2) years of nursing experience preferred.
3. Licensure in the State of Illinois as an APN is required.
4. Experience as delineated in clinical privileges through credentialing by the Medical Staff Office.
5. Basic Life Support certification required. Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification required in some
6. Any other certification required for specialty area.
7. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, basic computer skills, and strong verbal and written