The Advanced Practice Provider (APP) works within the multidisciplinary Adult Congenital Heart Disease team. Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children's Hospital is a high volume Comprehensive Heart Center providing care to patients with congenital heart disease across the lifespan. The Adult Congenital Heart Disease Advanced Practice Provider (APP) works collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team to provide comprehensive care to adolescent and adult patients with congenital heart disease. S/he promotes evidenced based practice by conducting or participating in research and academic activities. S/he provides support to the nursing and leadership staff in order to promote the advancement of the nursing profession at Lurie Children's and in the community-at-large. The role is unique to each division and in accordance with individual credentialing and privileging through the Medical Staff Office.
Location: Main Hospital, Lincoln Park, Other outpatient sites may be required
1. Provides care management in the outpatient setting.
2. Provides inpatient consultation to adults admitted to Lurie Children's Hospital, Northwestern Memorial Hospital and Prentice Women’s Hospital.
3. Delegates and oversees coordination of care
4. Provide formal patient and family education during transition to adult care clinic visits
5. Participates in current research studies and quality improvement initiatives on a local and national level.
6. Provides expert clinical care, education, consultation, advocacy research, leadership and mentorship.
7. Manages primary, acute and chronic health problems through comprehensive history and physical examination assessment and diagnosis. This may include palliative and end of life care.
8. Orders, performs and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures.
9. Orders and prescribes pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, and performs other therapeutic or corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
10. Promotes the advancement of the nursing profession at Lurie Children's and the community-at-large. This may include publication, participation in professional organizations and providing educational support to the nursing staff.
11. Collaborates and coordinates care with medical team to deliver evidenced-based care and establish best practices in clinical care.
12. Participates in research design, implementation and interpretation.
13. Meets the Medical Staffs Allied Health Practitioners core measures of performance related to patient care, medical knowledge, practice based learning and improvement, interpersonal communication skills, professionalism, and system based practice.
14. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
1. Master's degree or higher from an accredited school of nursing appropriate for certification as a Nurse Practitioner. (CNS certification is not acceptable if hired after January 1, 2010). Family Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant Certification required
2. Two (2) years of nursing experience preferred. Prior cardiac experience preferred.
3. Privileges at Northwestern Memorial Hospital will need to be obtained once on boarded.
4. Licensure in the State of Illinois as an APN is required.
5. Experience as delineated in clinical privileges through credentialing by the Medical Staff Office.
6. Basic Life Support certification required. Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification required.
7. Any other certification required for specialty area.
8. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, basic computer skills, and strong verbal and written communication skills.