The Senior Director is responsible for the development and growth of outreach programs Lurie Children’s Main Sites and at other health care organizations. Manages all aspects of the Divisions of Hospital-Based Medicine (HBM) programs both Outreach and main campus including, but not limited to, physician recruitment, credentialing, contracts, evaluation, and provides business development, strategic planning and operations oversight.
The Senior Director serves as the administrative leader of the Divisions and as a key representative with external hospitals’ executive leadership. The Senior Director will bring financial acumen across different disciplines and be a superb communicator, approachable, available, collegial, and work to gain trust and earn buy-in through team work.
1. Develops and implements strategies, business development and operational plans to support achievement of Divisions of HBM and Corporate Outreach goals.
2. Manages development and implementation of outreach programs at partner organizations; e.g., evaluates the feasibility of outreach programs, negotiates and develops contracts to provide support to inpatient units, nurseries, ED’s, telemedicine and other programs in area hospitals.
3. Maintains strong relationships with existing and new outreach partners including attendance at Joint Practice meetings. Serves as the key Lurie Children’s liaison to identify and resolve issues between Lurie Children’s and partners, as well as internal Lurie Children’s issues.
4. Assesses needs and, when appropriate, develops arrangements for provision of sub-specialists at outreach sites, determines space needs, ensures customer service, manages ongoing relationships with partner organizations, and evaluates the success of these programs.
5. Provides administrative direction to the Division Heads (Outreach and Main Campus) including recruitment and ongoing oversight of physician staff, preparation and administration of budget, and ongoing relationships with partner hospitals and main campus leaders.
6. Works cooperatively, and in tandem with the clinical senior leadership for the support of the programs.
7. Monitors the billing activity for outreach sites and main campus, monitoring of monthly variance reports, collaborating with the revenue cycle teams to ensure maximum reimbursement. Responsible for achieving budgeted revenues/expenses.
8. Ensures compliance with all legal and regulatory requirements related to outreach and the Divisions of HBM programs.
9. Provides reports to the senior management, and the medical staff on the performance of outreach and the Divisions of HBM. Apprises the CEO and senior management of issues and trends.
10. Identifies and analyzes business opportunities for the Divisions of HBM at all Lurie Children’s sites. Responsible for preparing a business plan for new sites. Responsible for implementation of the plan and transitioning the plan to operations.
11. Responsible for conducting and overseeing marketing and business analysis related to the Divisions of HBM and will analyze data in collaboration with Business Analytics and DAR.
12. Directly responsible for monitoring and reporting performance on business plans, implementation plans, and growth plan goals.
¨ Measure and communicate program effectiveness on a regular basis.
¨ Monitor progress against program milestone to ensure deadlines are met.
¨ Communicate and manage any variances from plan.
¨ Report results and strategic implications to Senior Management.
13. Prepares and administers capital and operations budgets for areas of responsibility.
14. Selects, evaluates the performance of and serves as a mentor to staff in areas of responsibility.
15. Actively participates in the committees and task forces related to strategic and business development and growth.
16. Other job functions as assigned.
1. Bachelor’s degree required; Master’s degree in business administration, healthcare administration, or related field preferred.
2. Minimum of 5 years’ experience in healthcare planning, operations and management required; Academic medical center experience preferred.
3. Strong financial and analytic expertise in budget development, forecasting, and management.
4. Demonstrates strong interpersonal and teamwork skills and has ability to work with diverse constituencies throughout the medical center.
5. Strong organization and project management skills with keen attention to details and discipline to see projects and initiatives through to completion accurately and by deadline.
6. Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and lead staff in a changing environment, develop and foster teams, work collaboratively and effectively with diverse constituencies throughout the medical center, and
maintain a collaborative culture that is conducive to success and that supports a respectful environment for all to work within.
7. Ability to communicate effectively in a leadership role with clinical, business and administrative staff.
8. Excellent oral and written communication skills.
9. Excellent leadership skills; excellent analytical and organizational skills; proven ability to develop and foster teams; excellent oral and written communication skills; knowledge of healthcare delivery processes and systems.