Conducts experimental research lab work. Assists in design of one or more specific phase(s) of entire project(s). Completes mathematical calculations, &/or computer tasks &/or assists in judging validity of data. Follows appropriate protocols, policies, procedures, regulations, good clinical & laboratory practices.
Seeking a highly motivated, experienced research technician to fill a full-time position in Dr. Loretta Li’s laboratory at Lurie Children’s Hospital / Northwestern University. We are a newly established translational leukemia research laboratory that uses a variety of biochemical, molecular, and cell biology approaches to identify new therapeutic targets, develop preclinical models of disease, and test novel therapeutics both in vitro and in vivo using mouse models. We seek to define mechanisms of response and resistance to different novel therapeutic agents, with the goal of eventually translating these findings to clinical trials for patients. The successful candidate will be a team player capable of handling multiple tasks and adaptable to a fast-paced research environment.
1. Following protocols, designs and sets-up and conducts basic experiments.
2. Analyzes and troubleshoots protcols and data obtained from individual experiments and recommends alternatives and suggestions to improvde processes, validity and.ot accuracy.
3. Maintains detailed records of results which may include collecting, extracting and entering data. Manipulates, interprest and/or presents results.
4. Prepares charts and graphs for presentations and publications.
5. Performs scientific literature searches in support of research.
6. Completes portions of grant applications, manuscripts and publications.
7. Tracks and summarizes lab supply expenses. Verifies accuracy of invoices. Orders and maintains inventory of reagent, mice and/or lab supplies.
8. Other job functions as assigned.
The research technologist will design and conduct experiments to advance the research progress in the lab and share in the responsibilities of routine laboratory maintenance. The successful candidate will be responsible for the following:
1. Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 3 years' lab/bench or other relevant experience required; OR Successful completion of a full course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a master's or higher degree in a scientific major or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience and 1 year lab/bench or other relevant experience.
2. Working knowledge of computers, ability to troubleshoot, work independently, and function as a team member is essential. Therefore, experience in regular interaction with outside groups is highly desirable.
3. Excellent command of the English language and the ability to communicate effectively.
4. Strong organizational skills including the ability to establish priorities, react promptly to a large variety of requests, and the ability to keep the workplace clean and organized.