The Cardiac Intensive Care Unit (CICU) / CICU Stepdown Advanced Practice Provider (APP) works collaboratively with the multidisciplinary team caring for patients with complex congenital and acquired cardiac disease in Regenstein Cardiac Care Unit at Ann and Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital. It is a 44 bed unit that incorporates an acuity adaptable model to provide care to post-surgical and critically ill patients across the lifespan.
1. Participates in patient care rounds as a front line provider.
2. Responsible for transfer and discharge sign-out communication as well as participate in patient and family education
3. Participates in current research studies and quality improvement initiatives on a local and national level.
4. Manages primary, acute and chronic health problems through comprehensive history and physical examination assessment and diagnosis. This may include palliative and end of life care.
5. Orders, performs and interprets diagnostic and therapeutic tests and procedures.
6. Orders and prescribes pharmacologic and non-pharmacologic interventions, and performs other therapeutic or corrective measures to treat illness and improve health status.
7. Promotes the advancement of the nursing profession at Lurie Children’s and the community-at-large. This may include publication, participation in professional organizations and providing educational support to the nursing staff.
8. Collaborates and coordinates care with medical team to deliver evidenced-based care and establish best practices in clinical care.
9. Meets the Medical Staffs Allied Health Practitioners core measures of performance related to patient care, medical knowledge, practice based learning and improvement, interpersonal communication skills, professionalism, and system based practice.
10. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and
1. Master’s degree or higher from an accredited school of nursing appropriate for certification as a Nurse
Practitioner. (CNS certification is not acceptable if hired after January 1, 2010).
2. Acute Care Pediatric Nurse Practitioner or Physician Assistant certification required
2. Two (2) years of pediatric cardiac nursing experience preferred.
3. Licensure in the State of Illinois as an APN or PA is required.
4. Experience as delineated in clinical privileges through credentialing by the Medical Staff Office.
5. Basic Life Support certification required. Pediatric Advanced Life Support certification required in some
6. Any other certification required for specialty area.
7. Demonstrates excellent interpersonal skills, basic computer skills, and strong verbal and written