We have full-time (72 and 80 hours biweekly) openings available to join our team! The Surgical Technologist provides assistance to the surgical team during surgical procedure. Assists in the orientation process of all new operating room employees as assigned.
Why work at Lurie Children's Hospital?
Performs technical skill duties in all operating room specialty service areas, ensuring that proper technical practices are employed according to accepted standards of process.
Provides proper maintenance, assembly, handling and sterilization techniques of specialty instrumentation.
Provides assistance to Registered Professional Nurses in the implementing of the intra-operative phase of the nursing practice.
The surgical technologist in the first scrub role handles the instruments, supplies, and equipment necessary during the surgical procedure. If there are 2 separate set ups, the same requirements apply to each set up. He/she has an understanding of the procedure being performed and anticipates the needs of the surgeon. He/she has the necessary knowledge and ability to ensure quality patient care during the operative procedure and is constantly on vigil for maintenance of the sterile field.
Preoperative Duties are as follows:
1. Donning OR attire and personal protective equipment (PPE).
2. Gathers, checks and opens supplies and equipment needed for the surgical procedure.
3. Performs the surgical scrub, and donning gown and gloves.
4. Sets up the sterile back table and Mayo stand with instruments, supplies, equipment, and medications/solutions needed for the procedure.
5. Performs initial instrument, sharps and sponge counts with the circulator.
6. Assists the team members with gowning and gloving.
7. Assists with draping the patient and establishing the sterile field.
8. Participates in the surgical site and patient verification during the time out procedure.
9. Secures tubing, cords and other sterile accessories.
Intraoperative Duties are as follows:
1. Prepares and anticipates additional instrumentation, equipment and supplies for usage during the procedure.
2. Maintains an organized sterile field with minimal variation
3. Anticipates the needs of the surgeon by passing instruments and supplies to surgeon during procedure.
4. Labels, measures and passes medications, hemostatic agents and irrigation solutions utilized during the surgical procedure.
5. Holds retractors or instruments as directed by the surgeon.
6. Sponges or suctions the operative site.
7. Applies electrocautery to clamps or forceps on bleeders.
8. Cuts suture material as directed by the surgeon.
9. Coordinates the camera or changes out robotic arms/instruments during endoscopic surgery as directed by the surgeon.
10. Maintains highest standard of sterile technique during the procedure.
1. Verifies the character and configuration of items that are used by the surgeons and first assistants
2. Verifies integrity and completeness of items that are returned from the surgical site
3. Counts in a manner that allows the RN Circulator to see the surgical item being counted
4. Account for and confine all sharps on the sterile field until the final count is reconciled
5. Performs additional counts as necessary.
6. Prepares sterile dressings and/or immobilization devices.
7. Prepares and passes off specimen(s) as appropriate.
8. Cleans and prepares instruments for terminal sterilization.
9. Assists other members of the team with terminal cleaning of room.
10. Assists in prepping the OR for the next patient.
11. Participates in debriefing and quality improvement practices to ensure quality patient care.
1. Participates in the orientation of all new operating room personnel as assigned to the room for the entire time the patient is in the room. Participates in operating room staff development through in-service education programs, conference and research projects.
2. Participates in departmental and hospital committees as requested.
3. Accepts on-call rotation.
4. Performs job functions adhering to service principles with customer service focus of innovation, service excellence and teamwork to provide the highest quality care and service to our patients, families, co-workers and others.
5. Demonstrates knowledge of pertinent aspects and competency with protocols related to the use of chemical disinfection, high level disinfection, and sterilization if required as part of the responsibilities of the role.
6. Other job functions as assigned.
1. High School education or equivalent and completion of a Surgical Technologist Program required.
2. Previous experience as an operating room technician preferred.
3. Certification as surgical technologist required within first 90 days of hire.
4. Ability to react quickly to emergency situations.
5. Current Basic Life Support (BLS) required through the American Heart Association.